Platelet Rich Growth Factor
Today’s most promising dental technology—Platelet Rich Growth Factor (PRGF)—comes from inside your own body. PRGF is a natural substance in your blood plasma, made up of a high concentration of platelet-rich cells that accelerate your body’s normal healing process. This innovative regenerative therapy involves the release of growth factors that promote hard and soft tissue healing and blood clot formation.
Areas for Potential Treatment
Almost all skin tones show that PRGF is safe and effective because a patient’s own enriched plasma is used. Areas typically treated for aesthetic purposes and skin rejuvenation include:
- Crinkling skin around the eyes.
- Cheeks and mid¬ face.
- Chest and décolletage.
- Back of hands and arms.
- Scalp—to stimulate hair growth.
We are currently accepting new patients and would love to help you take your smile to the next level, please complete our Contact Form to request an appointment.
The Process—What to Expect
- We use a syringe to take a very small amount of blood (20 cc) from the individual patient.
- The blood is spun in a special centrifuge to separate its components—Red Blood Cells, Platelet Rich Plasma, Platelet Poor Plasma and Buffy Coat.
- The Platelet Rich Growth Factor and Buffy Coat is first separated and then combined.
- The new mixture is combined with a small amount of calcium chloride which acts as an activation agent and scaffold. (Platelets are very small cells in your blood that are involved in the clotting and healing process).
- When PRGF is injected into the damaged area, it causes a mild inflammation that triggers a healing cascade. As the platelets spread out in the treatment area, they release enzymes that promote healing and tissue responses, including increasing stem cells and growth factors that repair the damaged area.
- The result is the development of new collagen. As the collagen matures, it begins to shrink, causing the tightening and strengthening of the damaged area. Thus, when treating injured or sun/time-damaged tissue, we remodel the tissue into a healthier and younger state.
How long should I expect this procedure to take?
The full procedure takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour. We recommend 2-3 treatments, separated by six-week intervals. However, more may be necessary for some individuals. Touch-up treatments to boost and maintain the initial results may be done once a year.
How safe is PRGF?
The safety of PRGF has been established for over 20 years. Its wound-healing properties and proven effectiveness has extended across multiple medical specialties, including cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, podiatry, ENT, neurosurgery, dental and maxillofacial surgery (dental implants and sinus elevations), urology, dermatology (chronic wound healing), and ophthalmology, and cosmetic surgery. PRGF’s emergence into aesthetics and skin rejuvenation began in 2004 in Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Benefits of PRGF
- Eliminates allergies
- Mobilizes your own stem cells
- Requires minimal procedure time—new techniques are just 15 minutes
- Is safe with minimal risk—harvested from your own blood
- Involves a short recovery time—and less swelling and pain
- Provides natural looking results
- Requires no general anesthesia
- Rejuvenates skin, including:
- improving skin texture
- adding thickness
- smooths fine lines and wrinkles
- increases volume via the increased production of collagen and elastin
- diminishes and improves the appearance of scars.
Chris Mohler, DDS, LLC is one of the few South Carolina dentists to offer Platelet Rich Growth Factor (PRGF).